{Please Note: After few failed attempts, I am manually importing all my posts from my other blog (Madhu's vantalu) to this blog. Please bare with me while i try to import some selected posts (almost 50 of them) one at a time. Only after i import all my posts, I will be closing Madhu's vantalu blog. Some of the posts are almost 6 yrs old, so i may update few of the pictures and do few changes to the writting}



Saturday, February 23, 2013

Atukula upma | Poha upma | Indian Breakfast recipe

    Please Note: This is one of my old post which i imported from my other blog
    Atukula (poha/Avalaki) upma is very common tiffin (breakfast) item in Karnataka. The first time I tasted this was in my in-laws house. I am not sure if Andhra people do this upma or not, but my mom never made this. I loved it the very first time I tasted it. All I can say is simplicity at its best.

    Its a very simple recipe which can be whipped up in less than ten minutes. Ultra satisfying and always comes in handy for a quick fix meal.

     
    Recipe:
    1. Poha (Atukulu/Avalaki) – 2 cups
    2. Medium onion- 1
    3. Peanuts about 10
    4. green chille- 4
    5. few curry leaves
    6. coriander leaves for garnish
    7. lemon juice and salt.

    • In a skillet add a tablespoon of oil followed by mustard seeds. When mustard starts to dance around add the peanuts, half teaspoon each of chana dal and urad dal. When slightly brown add the green chille and curry leaves. Then add the onions, a pinch of salt, turmeric and cook till onion becomes soft.

    • While the onion is cooking take the poha under the cold water and rinse it of twice. Put the poha immediately in the collander and drain the excess water.

    • Once the onions are soft add the poha, followed by salt. Reduce the heat to low and cook the poha for five to seven minutes. Once done add some lemon juice and chopped coriander.

     NOTE:

    Its important to use thick poha for this recipe, if not poha will become mushy.

     

    4 comments:

    1. Hi there. The current Food on Friday on Carole's Chatter is collecting links to posts about breakfast dishes. I do hope you link this in. This is the link . Please do check out some of the other links – there are a lot of good ones already. Cheers

      ReplyDelete
    2. Your recipe is looks awsme, you give the easiest way to prepare this recipe, from your recipe tips many people gets advantage. Regards, Poha

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thank you soooooo much for the recipe. My family is happy with my cooking bcoz of you

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I am very happy to know that you family liked the recipe. Thanks for letting me know.I am trying to put a lot of simple and healthy recipes. Do check them out!

        Delete

    Thanks for stopping bye. Your comments mean a lot to me....Keep them coming....!